Many companies focus on getting their web pages to rank in Google and the other search engines. However, there is also a lot to be said for optimising YouTube videos so that they rank well.
People who encounter your videos may then click through to your website if the content is valuable, so it makes sense to optimise them. But how can you do this? Here are a few ways to improve your video optimisation:
- one of the most important things to remember when creating your videos is to use your keywords in the title of the video. The danger with this is that you may end up just using your keywords and failing to make the video title attractive to visitors, so it is also important to make it compelling. By using your keywords in the first few words of the title you may also stand a better chance that it ranks well in the search engines;
- the other place where it is very important to use your main keywords is in the video description. The description is crucial because the search engines use this written text to find out more information about what the video contains because they cannot use the video content. It is therefore important to make your description as descriptive as possible to provide the search engines with more information;
- just with written content on your website, it is important to build links to your video if you want to stand a better chance of getting it ranked for your target keywords. Links tell the search engines that your video is popular, and this gives it authority, so it is very important to try and build the links. You can do this from your social networks, your website and many other places online. If you have a web design company they may also know a bit about link building, so ask them for some advice;
- tags are another feature of YouTube videos which you may add to inform the search engines what the video is about. Choose your tags carefully so that they truly describe the content of the video, and try to use your keywords as well;
- the great thing about videos is that they are often easier to share than written content, so try to get your videos shared online. The more people who share your videos, the more links you build to it, and the higher it may end up ranking. Of course, to increase the chance that it gets shared it needs to contain valuable content in the first place.
These are all ways that you may be able to optimise your videos to improve their chances of appearing in the results pages of the search engines for your chosen keywords. Try to get into the habit of carrying out all of these practices to improve your chances of ranking your videos.