It is now widely accepted that Blogs can form an integral part of an online marketing strategy. In fact, recent research* shows that over a third of professional people ‘Blog’ regularly – producing SEO-rich Blog articles – and see it as a important part of their ongoing marketing plans.
Blog content has a number of benefits, including:
- showing that your website is being updated regularly – search engines love to see regular, relevant content being added to a website;
- informing and building a community online (as your visitors can comment on your Blog posts, thus building a rapport);
- great syndication and notification facilities which means you can spread the word about your content automatically, getting it picked up by search engines in weeks rather than days.
Blog writing tips – so, how can you write a great Blog?
There is a skill to writing to a successful Blog. Here are some Do’s and Don’ts:
- DO write about something relevant to your business, whether it is service-based or product based;
- DO spell check anything you’ve written and make sure it is grammatically correct. Your Blog is a representation of your company – sloppy copy portrays the image of a company that doesn’t care;
- DON’T cut and paste other people’s content, unless you have their permission to do so and DON’T make a habit of doing this regularly anyway (see next bullet point);
- DO write unique copy rather than just copying and pasting someone else’s work. Search engines don’t like websites that is full of copied content;
- DON’T make the Blog article too wordy – anywhere from 250-500 words is enough to attract the search engines, and engage the reader rather than bore them;
- DO write your article around a keyword or keywords, but don’t overuse them. Keywords should form around 1% of each article.
What should you write about?
- if you are stuck for ideas, look at what is going on in the News and see if there is a connection that you could write about (eg. the new iphone 5 is due to be launched – if you sell gadget insurance, you can write a Blog about the benefits of insuring a new mobile phone, etc);
- comment on the marketplace – this will be interesting to readers and will portray the image of you being an expert in your field;
- look at writing Blogs on related subjects. For example, if you sell car insurance, a Blog around the Top Ten Fastest cars will make a good read. Similarly, if you sell merchandise such as T-Shirts, a Blog on famous T-shirt looks (eg Bruce Willis in his white singlet) will make your Blog stand out.
Hopefully this article has given you food thought on the importance of Blog content; how to write a good Blog article; and content ideas. We do appreciate however that you may not have the time or inclination to produce a steady stream of keyword-rich, relevant copy. If this is the case, then please get in touch – we offer competitively-priced, SEO-led Blogs that can help boost your business and give you the edge over your competitors.